MARCH 10 – 11, 2018 – RAIN OR SHINE!
Presented by the American Indian Studies Program , American Indian Student Council, American Indian Student Services, Division of Student Affairs, Student Life and Development, and Associated Students, Inc.
California State University, Long Beach’s annual Pow Wow, an American Indian social celebration, returns to the campus’ central quad on Saturday and Sunday, March 10 – 11, 2018. The largest spring event of its kind in Southern California, the Pow Wow at Cal State Long Beach is focused on displaying the university’s strong American Indian presence. Admission and parking are free. We strongly recommend spectators to bring folding chairs.
The two-day event, which will feature American Indian dancing, arts, crafts and food begins at 11 AM each day and runs until 10 PM on Saturday and 7 PM on Sunday. In addition to contests and inter-tribal dancing, there will be Gourd dancing with Dancer Registration closing at 2 PM on Saturday, March 10. All dancers and drums are invited.
Native foods such as mutton and beef stew, Navajo tacos, fry bread and Indian burgers will be on sale at the event, and American Indian vendors will be selling both traditional and contemporary American Indian art.
Download a Pow Wow Flyer
Pow Wow Schedule
Saturday, March 10, 2018
|2:00PM||Dancer Registration Closes|
|4:00PM||American Indian Student Council (AISC) Special|
|5:00PM to 6:00PM||Dinner Break – California Indian Presentation|
|10:00PM||Closing: Retire Colors and dance out|
Sunday, March 11, 2018
|6:00PM||Closing: Awards, Retire Colors and dance out|
- Master of Ceremony: Arlie Neskahi (Diné)
- Arena Director: Victor Chavez (Diné)
- Head Man Dancer: Casey Fox (Arikara – Three Affiliated Tribes)
- Head Woman Dancer: Patricia Lopez (Taos Pueblo)
- Host Northern Drum: Coyote Canyon (Southern California)
- Head Southern Singer: John Begay (Diné)
- Host Gourd: Golden State Gourd Society
- Spoonkeeper: Rebecca Sanchez (Yaqui/Mayo/Mexican)
- California Indian Presentation: Ti’at Society (Tongva)
- Head Man, Dr. Casey Fox, and his family are sponsoring a 2018 Royalty Special! The contest is open to any former and current Pow Wow Princesses 18 years of age and older (traditional, jingle, and fancy – must register for Special and be in full regalia).
- 1st Place: $500, beadset with shawl, star quilt, and jacket
- 2nd Place: $300, star quilt, and jacket
- 3rd Place: $200, star quilt, and jacket
- Consolation gifts will also be offered
Enter the campus from 7th St., Atherton, Bellflower Blvd., or Palo Verde Ave. and follow directional signs to park for free:
- General Pow Wow Parking in Lots E1, E2, G1, G2, G4, G5, G6, G7, G8, G9, G11, G13, & G14
- Dancers, Singers, & Head Staff Parking in Lots E8, E9, E10, and E11
- Vendor Registration & Parking in Lot E7, with additional parking in E8
A campus map and directions can be found at www.csulb.edu/maps.
You can also download a Pow Wow Campus Map